The TDSB has awarded permits for our new Earl Beatty Field to private sports organizations in an effort to generate income for the school board [Updated]
[Updated Times for Little Kickers] Little Kickers will have access to the field from 6:00-8:15 pm on Tuesdays and 3:45-7:00 pm Saturdays and Sundays from June 5th to Sept 25th and Cherry Beach Soccer will have the field booked from 6:00-8:30 pm on Thursdays and Fridays from May 17 to Sept 28th. The Earl Beatty School Advisory Council is against the board's decision to permit out the field for the following reasons:
· Our field is graded for ‘soft play’ standards, not sports play standards and was not designed for intensive use.
· Intensive use will likely result in significant damage to the turf, requiring repairs and earlier replacement than has been planned and budgeted for by TDSB
· This field is the only “green space” within the box created by the surrounding through streets--Coxwell and Woodbine between Danforth and Mortimer. As such, it is important not just to the children of Earl Beatty, but to the community at large
· Children use the field well into the later hours of the afternoon and evening
· Beatty Buddies and Boys and Girls Club will be restricted to the concrete and playground areas of the yard only
· Our neighbours will be impacted by the added traffic and reduced street parking options due to the permitted field users.
· Funds raised go to the school board. There is no off-setting benefit to the Earl Beatty community.
We are seeking a block on permitting our field to groups not affiliated with Earl Beatty. If you agree that these permits are undesirable, please contact the TDSB permit office and the sustainability office, as well as our Ward 16 superintendints.
It would also be helpful to cc: Kiki and/or Patrice so they know how the parents feel.
Ndaba Njobo (Ndaba.Njobo@tdsb.on.ca) - permit department
Richard Christie (firstname.lastname@example.org) - Sustainability Office, TDSB
Mary Jane McNamara - (email@example.com ) - Superintendent Ward 16
Lucy Giannotta - (firstname.lastname@example.org) - Superintendent Ward 16
John Chasty - (email@example.com) - Superintendent, Ward 16
Earl Beatty adminstration:
Kiki Karailiadis <Kiki.Karailiadis@tdsb.on.ca>,
Patrice Pusey <Patrice.Pusey@tdsb.on.ca>,
Some other useful emails for your cc list:
Janet Davis (Janet.Davis@toronto.ca) - City Counsillor, Ward 31
Victoria Occhipinti (Victoria.Occhipinti@toronto.ca) - Office of Janet Davis, City Councillor, Ward 31
Sheila Cary-Meagher (firstname.lastname@example.org) - Trustee, Ward 16